- 8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (3 3/4 pounds)
- Sea salt and pepper (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 15 ounces marinated artichoke hearts, plus 1/4 cup brine from the jar
- 1 cup Castelvetrano olives
- 1 head of garlic, halved crosswise
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/2 cup semidry sherry, such as amontillado
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 375°. Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper. In a large cast-iron skillet or black steel pan, heat the oil. Add half of the chicken skin side down and top the pieces (not the pan) with a pot lid; cook over moderate heat until browned and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer skin side up to a large baking dish. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Scatter the artichoke hearts, olives, garlic, lemon slices and thyme in the baking dish.
Pour off the fat from the skillet. Add the artichoke brine, stock, sherry and fish sauce; bring to a boil. Stir in 1 teaspoon of salt, then pour the mixture around the chicken. Cover tightly with foil and braise in the oven for 1 hour, until the chicken is very tender.
Uncover and increase the oven temperature to 400°. Roast the chicken for 15 minutes longer, until the skin is crisp.
Discard the thyme. Transfer to plates and serve.
Look for a natural sea salt with small crystals--it coats food more evenly.
California Dolcetto: 2013 Palmina Santa Barbara County