- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- One 3-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 2 pounds ripe plum tomatoespeeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
How to make this recipe
Heat the oil in a large nonreactive skillet. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper; add to the skillet and cook over moderate heat until brown and crusty, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter; pour off the excess fat.
Add the garlic to the skillet and cook over low heat until lightly golden. Add the chicken and white wine and cook over moderately high heat until it reduces to a thick glaze, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock and 1/2 cup of water, partially cover and cook over low heat for about 30 minutes, turning the chicken once. Transfer the breast pieces to a platter and keep warm.
Add the tomatoes to the skillet. Cook until the dark meat is tender, 10 to 15 minutes; transfer the dark meat to the platter. Add the marjoram and oregano to the sauce and cook over high heat until slightly thickened. Return all the chicken to the skillet and cook until heated through, spooning the sauce over the pieces. Serve at once.
Try a fruity red like a Dolcetto from Prunotto or Pio Cesare.