- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick on the diagonal
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 thyme sprigs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a large ovenproof skillet, melt the butter over moderately low heat. Add the carrots, garlic and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing frequently, until the carrots are tender but not browned, about 10 minutes. Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil and remove from the heat.
- Cover the carrots with a round of parchment paper and cover the skillet with a lid. Braise the carrots in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until they are very tender. Discard the thyme sprigs and serve.
Make AheadThe cooked carrots can be refrigerated for up to 1 day. Gently reheat the carrots in their liquid before serving.