Braised Artichoke Hearts with Vegetables
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Throughout artichoke season, Turkish street vendors sell trimmed, fresh artichoke heartsa wonderful luxury for the home cookthat make dishes like this lemony vegetable salad easy to prepare.
- 1/2 lemon, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 large artichokes
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3/4 cup frozen baby peas
- 1/2 small onion, peeled
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
- Fill a medium bowl with water and squeeze the lemon half into it. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, snap off the dark outer leaves until you reach the yellow leaves. Cut off the top two-thirds of the leaves, leaving 1 1/2 inches at the base. Cut off the stem and peel the artichoke bottom, then scoop out the hairy choke with a melon baller or a teaspoon. Add the artichoke bottom to the bowl of water. Repeat with the remaining 3 artichokes.
- Scatter the diced carrot in a large saucepan and arrange the artichoke bottoms on top. Scatter the potato and peas around the artichokes and nestle the onion in the center.
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the flour, sugar and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice. Stir in 1/4 cup of water and season with salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the artichokes. Cover with a moistened piece of parchment paper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderately low and cook the vegetables until tender, about 1 hour. Check occasionally and add a few tablespoons of water as necessary if the vegetables begin to look dry.
- Transfer the artichoke bottoms to a small platter. Stir the dill and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice into the vegetables in the pan and spoon them over the artichokes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Artichokes are hard to pair with wine, but a sharply aggressive white, such as Albariño from Spain, is a good match.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.