Â© John Kernick
Boxer's Beet Juice with Horseradish
- TOTAL TIME: 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes two 6-ounce drinks
Elizabeth Falkner from Citizen Cake and Orson in San Francisco loves having juice in the morning, because she feels it helps her "detox so she can retox." This intense savory juice gets a bracing pungency from freshly grated horseradish.
- 1 small red beet (6 ounces), scrubbed but not peeled, cut into large chunks
- 1 celery rib, cut into 3-inch lengths
- 1 pound Granny Smith apple—halved, cored and cut into large chunks
- One 1/4- to 1/2-ounce piece of horseradish, peeled, or 1 to 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1/2 tablespoon rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- In an electric juicer, juice the beet with the celery, apples, horseradish and rosemary. Stir in the lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
Notes One serving 159 cal, 35 gm carb, 1 gm fat, .1 gm sat fat, 1 gm protein, 5 gm fiber.