- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup pecans halves
- 1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 Flaky Pie Shell
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a medium bowl, combine 4 tablespoons of the butter and 1/4 cup of the brown sugar with the flour and pinch into moist crumbs. Stir in the pecans.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the remaining stick of butter and 3/4 cup of brown sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Beat in the pumpkin puree, egg yolks, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt, then beat in the milk and bourbon.
- In a stainless steel bowl, using clean beaters, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry, then fold into the pumpkin mixture until no white streaks remain.
- Pour the custard into the baked Flaky Pie Shell. Sprinkle the pecan streusel on top. Bake the pie in the middle of the oven for 1 hour, or until risen and golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached. Let cool and serve.
A spicy-sweet, intense and fragrant Muscat ice wine will echo the rich texture and nutty flavors in this pie.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.