- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads in 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups watercress sprigs
- 1 small fennel bulbhalved, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons each of fresh lemon juice and vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Four 4-ounce skinless halibut or mahimahi fillets
- 8 slices of country bread, toasted, rubbed with garlic
- Hot paprika, for sprinkling
- 4 piquillo peppers, or 2 roasted bell peppers, halved
- 1 large plum tomato, thinly sliced
- Stir the saffron into the mayonnaise; season with salt and pepper. Toss the watercress, fennel, shallot and lemon juice; season.
- Melt the butter in the oil in a skillet. Season the fish with salt and pepper; cook over high heat for 3 minutes per side. Spread the bread with the saffron mayonnaise; sprinkle with paprika. Fill the sandwiches with the fish, peppers, tomato and watercress salad, and serve.
Light-bodied French rosé.