- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon very finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons black bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon Asian chile paste
- 1 1/4 pounds baby bok choy, quartered lengthwise
- 1 bunch watercress (6 ounces), thick stems discarded
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- Steamed rice, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil until shimmering. Add the minced garlic, ginger and scallions and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the black bean sauce, sherry, chicken broth and chile paste, bring to a boil and simmer the sauce for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, place the bok choy in a steamer and steam until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add the watercress to the steamer and cook just until it wilts, about 1 minute longer.
- Add the bok choy and watercress to the skillet with the sauce. Stir the cornstarch mixture; add it to the skillet and stir-fry over high heat until the sauce is thickened, about 1 minute. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and serve with rice.