© Dana Gallagher
Bok Choy and Rice Noodle Soup with Turkey Meatballs
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/2 pound thin rice noodles
- 6 ounces low-fat firm tofu
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped water chestnuts
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 1 small red chile, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound baby bok choy, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 tomato, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- In a large bowl, soak the rice noodles in hot water for 10 minutes, then drain. Cut the noodles into 4-inch lengths.
- In a medium bowl, mash the tofu until it resembles cottage cheese. Mix in the turkey, water chestnuts, scallions, ginger, 1/3 cup of the cilantro, 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper. Form into 1-inch balls and transfer to a plate. Cover with plastic and refrigerate.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the shallots and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until golden, 7 to 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- In a large saucepan, combine the stock with the chile, lime juice, sugar and the remaining 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderately low, add the meatballs and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the bok choy and tomato and cook for 1 minute. Add the rice noodles and cook over moderate heat until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with the fried shallots and the remaining 1/2 cup of cilantro and serve.
NotesOne Serving 440 calories, 9.0 gm total fat, 0.9 gm saturated fat, 57 gm carb.