Boerwors Sausage Patties
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
This recipe has been adapted from The Soul of a New Cuisine.
- 10 slices of bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 pound ground veal
- Spicy barbecue sauce
- Grilled bread and Cucumber Sambal, for serving
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over low heat until lightly browned but not crisp, about 8 minutes. Add the curry powder and salt and cook, stirring, until very fragrant about 5 minutes. Transfer the bacon and all the drippings to a large bowl and let cool. Add the red wine vinegar, brandy and ground meat and mix well with your hands. Cover and refrigerate the meat mixture for 1 hour to blend the flavors.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Using wet hands, form the meat mixture into eight 4-inch patties. Grill the patties over moderately high heat, turning once, until deeply browned and crisp, about 4 minutes per side. Brush the patties with barbecue sauce and turn them over. Brush the second side with barbecue sauce and grill, flipping and glazing once or twice more, until the patties are coated with a layer of caramelized barbecue sauce. Serve with grilled bread and Cucumber Sambal.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.