- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup fine pound-cake crumbs
- 2 pints blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
How to make this recipe
- In a food processor, pulse the flour with the salt. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. With the machine on, add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and process until the dough just comes together. On a lightly floured surface, gently knead the dough 3 times. Pat the dough into a 6-inch disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a 12-inch round about 1/8-inch thick. Fit the dough into a 10-inch glass pie plate. Trim the overhang to 1 inch. Fold it under and crimp. Prick the bottom of the pie shell all over with a fork and refrigerate until chilled.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line the pie shell with foil and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake in the center of the oven for 10 minutes, or until the rim is slightly dry. Remove the foil and beans and bake for 3 minutes longer, or until the shell is dry but not colored. Gently deflate any bubbles in the pie shell and let cool on a rack. Leave the oven on.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the sugar with the flour and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, 2 table knives or your fingers, blend the butter into the dry ingredients. Pinch the topping into small crumbs and stir in the pecans.
- Spread the pound-cake crumbs in a pie plate and bake for 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Sprinkle the crumbs over the bottom of the pie shell.
- In a large bowl, toss the blueberries with the sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, lemon zest, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Spoon the fruit into the pie shell and bake for about 15 minutes, or until the blueberries swell. Scatter the topping over the filling, covering it completely.
- Set a baking sheet on the bottom rack of the oven to catch any drips. Bake the pie on the middle rack for about 45 minutes, or until the topping is crisp and golden and the filling is bubbling; cover the rim with strips of foil if it browns too quickly. Let the pie cool completely on a rack. Cut into wedges and serve.
The pie can be stored at room temperature for several hours.