- 1/2 cup, plus 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 1 cup unrefined cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest from 1 lemon, finely grated
- 2 large free-range eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened dried coconut
- 3/4 cup super-fine brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk (or almond/rice milk)
- 1 cup blueberries, plus 1/2 cup to sprinkle on top
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut, to sprinkle on top
- Gluten-free powdered sugar or coconut flour, to dust
- Softly whipped cream or natural yogurt, to serve
How to make this recipe
Preheat oven to 335°. Grease and line a 9-inch loose-bottom cake pan with parchment paper.
Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy using either an electric mixer or wooden spoon. Stir in the vanilla and lemon zest. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add dried coconut and sift over brown rice flour, potato starch and baking power. Stir until just combined before adding coconut milk and folding in 1 cup of the blueberries.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan, sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/2 cup of berries and flaked coconut. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan. Sprinkle with a little powdered sugar or coconut flour and serve with natural yogurt or softly whipped cream.