Blueberry Corn Cakes with Maple Syrup
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes 12 pancakes
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup fine stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Softened unsalted butter and warm pure maple syrup, for serving
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the egg yolk. In a medium bowl, beat the egg white until firm peaks form. Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir gently with a wooden spoon until evenly moistened; there will still be some lumps. Fold in the beaten egg white and then the blueberries.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil, and when it is hot, spoon 1/4 cup of the batter into the skillet for each pancake. Cook over moderate heat until browned on the bottom and bubbles appear on the surface, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on the second side, about 2 minutes longer. Keep the pancakes warm in a low oven while you continue with the remaining oil and batter. Serve the pancakes with butter and maple syrup.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.