Blueberry-Almond Shortcakes with Crème Fraîche
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond flour (see Note)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chilled vegetable shortening, cubed
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes, plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups blueberries (about 12 ounces)
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Spread the almonds in a pie plate and toast for about 6 minutes, until lightly golden and fragrant.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment. In a medium bowl, whisk the all-purpose flour with the almond flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 1/4 cup of the sugar. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the shortening and cold butter until they resemble peas. Add the buttermilk and stir until the dough is evenly moistened.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and pat into a 1-inch-thick round. Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter, stamp out 8 biscuits, patting the scraps back together as needed. Transfer the biscuits to the baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with the melted butter and sprinkle with sugar and kosher salt. Bake for about 18 minutes, until golden. Let stand until cool, 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another medium bowl, toss the blueberries with the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar, the orange juice and zest. Let stand until the sugar is dissolved, about 15 minutes. Transfer 1 cup of the blueberries to a food processor and puree until smooth. Scrape the puree into the blueberries in the bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- In another medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the crème fraîche at medium speed until thickened, about 30 seconds. Using a serrated knife, cut the biscuits in half horizontally and set the bottom halves on plates. Top with a dollop of crème fraîche, the blueberry compote and a few toasted almonds. Cover with the biscuit tops and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.