Blue Ginger Chicken in Lettuce Cups
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek or other Asian chile sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus more for frying
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small onion, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrot
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup finely diced peeled jicama
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- One 3-ounce package dried mung bean noodles
- 1 head of Bibb lettuce, leaves separated, for serving
- In a small bowl, whisk both soy sauces with the vinegar and sambal oelek. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the 1 tablespoon of oil until shimmering. Add the chicken and cook over moderately high heat until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, carrot, celery, jicama, ginger and garlic and stir-fry until the vegetables just begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Add the soy mixture and cook, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil to 400°. Add the mung bean noodles and fry until some of the noodles puff, about 20 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, carefully flip the noodles and cook for 20 seconds longer, until all of the noodles puff. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- To serve, spoon the chicken into the lettuce leaves. Top with the crispy noodles and serve.
Fruity, lively Oregon Pinot Gris.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.