- 3/4 cup blue cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- Soft unsalted butter and pure maple syrup, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a skillet, stir the cornmeal over moderately high heat until lightly toasted, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. In a bowl, mix the cornmeal with the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in the milk, egg and the 3 tablespoons of oil until blended.
In a skillet, heat a film of oil. Add 2 tablespoons of batter per pancake and cook over moderate heat until bubbles appear on the surface, about 3 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook for about 2 minutes; reduce the heat if the skillet gets too hot. Repeat for each batch of pancakes. Serve hot with butter and maple syrup.