Blue Corn Bread
- SERVINGS: MAKES ONE 8-INCH SQUARE CORN BREAD OR ABOUT 5 1/2 CUPS
You will need a little more than half of this bread for chef Mark Miller's Pheasant with Chorizo and Corn Bread Stuffing. Serve the rest warm for snacks or breakfast.
More Brunch Recipes
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup blue cornmeal (see Note)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Butter an 8-by-2-inch square cake pan. In a food processor, add the butter, egg, blue cornmeal, all-purpose and whole wheat flours, baking powder, salt and baking soda; pulse to combine. Add the buttermilk and process for 5 seconds, or just until smooth.
- Scrape the batter into the pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until the center is firm. Transfer the bread to a rack to cool a bit, then turn out and let cool completely.
Make AheadThe bread can be made up to 1 day ahead. Wrap in plastic and keep at room temperature.
NotesBlue cornmeal is available at specialty food markets.
Serve WithPheasant with Chorizo and Corn Bread Stuffing.