© David Nicolas
BLT Salad with Blue Cheese
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
In his cute version of the BLT sandwich, Michael Schwartz replaces the mayo with a wedge of blue cheese. He cures his own bacon, but the salad is delicious with any good artisanal bacon. "They can never be too thick," he says.
- 8 thick slices of bacon (4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large head of frisée, torn into bite-size pieces (8 cups)
- 2 pounds assorted tomatoes, large ones sliced or cut into wedges
- 6 ounces blue cheese, such as Stilton, cut into 4 equal wedges
- In a skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Cut the slices in half crosswise.
- In a small bowl, combine the shallot, vinegar and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss the frisée with the vinaigrette; mound on plates. Arrange the bacon, tomatoes and blue cheese around the frisée and serve.