- 1/4 cup plus 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil, plus small whole leaves for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes—cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 8 thick slices bacon, cut crosswise into 3/4-inch strips
- 2 large bunches of arugula, thick stems discarded
- Pan-Roasted Garlic Potatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
How to make this recipe
- Combine the oil, vinegar, chopped basil, salt and pepper. Toss 1 tablespoon of the dressing with the tomatoes. In a skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Toss the arugula with the remaining dressing and arrange on 4 large plates. Scatter the bacon and potatoes over the arugula and sprinkle the onion and blue cheese on top. Scatter the marinated tomatoes and basil leaves over the salad and serve.
Salty bacon, peppery greens, pungent blue cheesethe best match is a crisp Sauvignon Blanc from California.