- 8 strips of bacon
- 8 oil-packed, sun-dried tomatoes, drained (1/4 cup)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, seeded, or 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef chuck
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 4 kaiser rolls, split
- 1 bunch arugula, thick stems removed (6 ounces)
Light a grill. In a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until crisp, about 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels, then chop finely.
In a mini food processor, pulse the sun-dried tomatoes with the garlic, chipotle and vinegar until finely chopped. Add the mayonnaise and puree until smooth. Add the bacon, season with salt and pepper and pulse just until combined.
Form the meat into 4 large patties, about 1 inch thick and brush lightly with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and grill over a medium-high fire for 9 minutes for medium meat. Brush the cut sides of the rolls with olive oil and grill until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
Spread the mayonnaise on the cut sides of the rolls and set the burgers on the bottom halves. Top with the arugula, close the sandwiches and serve.