BLT Bread Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
The Good News To make this Italian-style salad, Joy Manning tosses cubes of bread with just a little B (bacon) and lots of healthy L (soft butter lettuce) and T (small yellow and red tomatoes). Instead of mayonnaise, she blends the basil-inflected dressing with protein-rich soft tofu.
- Three 3/4-inch-thick slices of rustic white bread, cubed (4 cups)
- 3 ounces soft silken tofu
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 small shallot, coarsely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 thick slices of bacon (4 ounces), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 head butter lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (about 5 cups)
- 1 cup red cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup yellow pear tomatoes, halved
- Preheat the oven to 250°. Spread the bread cubes on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 15 minutes, until the bread cubes are dry.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the tofu with the basil leaves, canola oil, Champagne vinegar and chopped shallot and puree until very smooth. Season the dressing with salt and pepper and reserve.
- In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer the bacon to paper towels and let drain.
- In a large bowl, toss the toasted bread cubes with the bacon, lettuce and tomatoes. Add the basil dressing, toss the salad until evenly coated and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.