- Three 3/4-inch-thick slices of rustic white bread, cubed (4 cups)
- 3 ounces soft silken tofu
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 small shallot, coarsely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 thick slices of bacon (4 ounces), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 head butter lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (about 5 cups)
- 1 cup red cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup yellow pear tomatoes, halved
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 250°. Spread the bread cubes on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 15 minutes, until the bread cubes are dry.
Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the tofu with the basil leaves, canola oil, Champagne vinegar and chopped shallot and puree until very smooth. Season the dressing with salt and pepper and reserve.
In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer the bacon to paper towels and let drain.
In a large bowl, toss the toasted bread cubes with the bacon, lettuce and tomatoes. Add the basil dressing, toss the salad until evenly coated and serve.
One Serving 261 cal, 13 gm fat, 2.1 gm sat fat, 29 gm carb, 2.7 gm fiber.