- 1 quart fresh blood orange juice or fresh orange juice (about 12 blood oranges or 8 large navel oranges)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh lime juice (about 12 limes)
- 1 1/2 cups Cointreau or other triple sec
- 3 1/2 cups silver tequila
- Kosher salt
- 1 blood orange or orange wedge, plus 12 thin blood orange or orange slices
- 1 dozen small sage sprigs or leaves
- In a large pitcher, mix the blood orange juice with the lime juice, Cointreau and silver tequila. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 30 minutes.
- Spread a small mound of salt on a small plate. Moisten the outer rim of 12 martini glasses with the orange wedge, then dip the rims into the salt to lightly coat.
- Add ice to the pitcher and stir well, then strain into the prepared glasses. Garnish each margarita with a blood orange slice and a sage sprig and serve.
The margarita recipe can be prepared through Step 1 and refrigerated, covered, overnight.