- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 cups chilled fresh blood orange juice or fresh orange juice, strained
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, for serving
- In a small saucepan, combine the water and sugar and bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish, stir the sugar syrup into the blood orange juice. Freeze for about 1 hour, or until ice crystals form around the edge. Using a fork, stir the crystals into the center and freeze for about 30 minutes, until a thicker rim of crystals forms around the edges. Stir again and freeze for about 1 hour longer, stirring every 15 minutes or so until all the juice is frozen.
- Scoop the granita into 8 bowls, top with vanilla ice cream and serve immediately.
The granita can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 2 days; rescrape before serving.