Blood Orange and Chocolate Trifle
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN PLUS 3 HR CHILLING
- SERVINGS: 6
Look for bittersweet chocolate that has at least 70 percent cocoa. It has a deeper flavor and is higher in antioxidants.
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 small blood oranges
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau or Triple Sec
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely grated
- Cinnamon, for sprinkling
- In a small bowl, blend the ricotta with the honey and refrigerate.
- Using a small, sharp knife, peel the blood oranges, removing all of the bitter white pith. Working over a bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the orange sections into the bowl; pour off the juice and reserve for another use. Add the Cointreau to the orange sections and toss to coat.
- Line up 6 Champagne flutes or other tall stemmed glasses on the counter. Add 4 orange sections to each glass. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the sweetened ricotta on top, then sprinkle on some of the grated chocolate. Repeat the layering of orange sections, ricotta and chocolate once. Top each trifle with a couple of orange sections, sprinkle with cinnamon and serve.