- 6 half-pints blackberries
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Pinch of salt
- Flaky Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Set a baking sheet lined with foil on the bottom rack. In a large bowl, toss 1 half-pint of the blackberries with the sugar, cornstarch, almond extract and salt; lightly crush the berries. Fold in the remaining berries and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Spoon the fruit and any accumulated juices into a 9-inch glass pie plate lined with 1 round of the Flaky Pie Crust. Dot the filling with the butter. Lightly brush the pastry rim with water. Position the rolled-out top crust over the filling and press the edges together to seal. Trim the overhang to 1/2 inch, fold it under itself and crimp decoratively.
- Bake the pie in the center of the oven for 1 1/2 hours, or until the filling is bubbling and the crust is deep golden. Cover the edge with strips of foil halfway through baking to prevent overbrowning. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for at least 4 hours before cutting.