- 4 cups blackberries
- 3 cups bottled water
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 black peppercorns
- 3 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups Cognac or other brandy
How to make this recipe
- In a medium saucepan, combine the blackberries with the water, cloves, peppercorns, cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaf and bring just to a boil. Cook over low heat for 30 minutes, gently crushing the berries against the side of the saucepan. Strain the berries through a fine sieve into a heatproof bowl without pressing on the berries. Stir in the brown sugar until dissolved. Let cool.
- Stir in the Cognac and pour into bottles. Seal the bottles tightly and store in a cool dark place for at least 2 weeks before serving.