Blackberry and Apple Crisp with Nut Topping
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 6
The extra-crunchy topping on this easy dessert contains heart-healthy oats and nuts rich in monounsaturated fats and vitamin E, and the apple-and-blackberry filling contains powerful antioxidants. In summer, Andrew Murray substitutes huckleberries, which he picks with his kids during their family vacations in Idaho.
- 3 Fuji apples—peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup whole almonds and pecans, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Oil an 8-by-8-inch glass baking dish. In a bowl, toss the apples with the blackberries, sugar and 2 tablespoons of the flour. Scrape the filling into the baking dish.
- In a bowl, toss the oats with the remaining » cup of flour and the nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon. Add the butter and rub it in thoroughly. Sprinkle the topping over the filling and bake for 35 minutes, until the filling is bubbling and the topping is browned. Let the crisp cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.