- 1/2 cup canola oil, plus more for greasing
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds (2 1/4 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (4 to 5 bananas)
- 1/3 cup silken tofu
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup fine raw cane sugar
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Oil four 4-by-2-inch loaf pans and arrange them on a large rimmed baking sheet. In a spice grinder, pulse the sesame seeds into a powder. In a medium bowl, whisk the ground sesame seeds with the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a food processor, combine the bananas with the tofu and lemon juice and puree until smooth. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar until pale. Beat in the banana mixture, almond milk and vanilla. Beat in the dry ingredients in 3 additions until uniform in color; do not overbeat.
- Scrape the batter into the 4 prepared pans and smooth the tops. Sprinkle the turbinado sugar and black sesame seeds on top. Bake the cakes for 40 to 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of each loaf comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Let the cakes cool completely, then turn them out onto a platter.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.