- 1 cup black forbidden rice
- 1 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- Handful of kaffir lime leaves, bruised with the back of a chef’s knife
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 pound golden or other beets, thinly julienned
- 2 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground hot chile pepper
- 2 cups shelled edamame or fresh shelled fava beans or green peas
- 1 cup untoasted pistachio nuts or pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 cups coconut black rice (from above)
- 1/4 cup ground chia or flax seeds
- 3 soft dates, pitted and mashed with a fork
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 small red chile, seeded and minced, or 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Large handful fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
How to make this recipe
Make the Coconut Rice
Mix all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
Make the Beets
Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl, mix thoroughly, cover and let marinate for 4 to 24 hours in the refrigerator. Stir again and serve.
Make the Burgers
Blanch the edamame for 3 to 4 minutes in a large amount of well-salted boiling water. Transfer into an ice-water bath and drain when chilled. If using fresh fava beans, blanch them for 1 to 2 minutes, then shock in an ice-water bath and squeeze each bean out of its outer skin when chilled. If using peas, blanch for 30 seconds, then shock in an ice bath.
Grind the pistachio nuts or pumpkin seeds into a coarse meal in a food processor. Grind the coriander, cumin and mustard seeds in a mortar with a pestle or in a designated coffee grinder.
In a large bowl, partially mash the edamame, fava or peas with potato masher or fork, leaving some bigger pieces and whole beans here and there.
Preheat oven to 475°. Add rice, ground pistachio nuts, chia meal, dates, tahini, ground spices, shallot, garlic, lime zest and juice, chili, mint and sea salt to the bowl.
Mix thoroughly with your hands. Form burger patties and place them on a parchment paper-covered baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.