- 1 cup black forbidden rice
- 1 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- Handful of kaffir lime leaves, bruised with the back of a chef’s knife
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 pound golden or other beets, thinly julienned
- 2 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground hot chile pepper
- 2 cups shelled edamame or fresh shelled fava beans or green peas
- 1 cup untoasted pistachio nuts or pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 cups coconut black rice (from above)
- 1/4 cup ground chia or flax seeds
- 3 soft dates, pitted and mashed with a fork
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 small red chile, seeded and minced, or 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Large handful fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
How to make this recipe
- Make the Coconut Rice Mix all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Make the Beets Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl, mix thoroughly, cover and let marinate for 4 to 24 hours in the refrigerator. Stir again and serve.
- Make the Burgers Blanch the edamame for 3 to 4 minutes in a large amount of well-salted boiling water. Transfer into an ice-water bath and drain when chilled. If using fresh fava beans, blanch them for 1 to 2 minutes, then shock in an ice-water bath and squeeze each bean out of its outer skin when chilled. If using peas, blanch for 30 seconds, then shock in an ice bath.
- Grind the pistachio nuts or pumpkin seeds into a coarse meal in a food processor. Grind the coriander, cumin and mustard seeds in a mortar with a pestle or in a designated coffee grinder.
- In a large bowl, partially mash the edamame, fava or peas with potato masher or fork, leaving some bigger pieces and whole beans here and there.
- Preheat oven to 475°. Add rice, ground pistachio nuts, chia meal, dates, tahini, ground spices, shallot, garlic, lime zest and juice, chili, mint and sea salt to the bowl.
- Mix thoroughly with your hands. Form burger patties and place them on a parchment paper-covered baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.