- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas, picked over and rinsed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons best-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- In a large bowl, cover the black-eyed peas with cold water and let soak overnight. Drain and rinse the peas and transfer them to a large saucepan. Add 3 quarts of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to moderate and cook until tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Drain the peas, rinse with cold water and drain again. Transfer the peas to a large bowl and add the onion, oil and vinegar. Toss the black-eyed peas with the parsley, season with salt and white pepper and serve.