- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 large celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 4 large scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Tabasco Sauce, for seasoning
How to make this recipe
- In a saucepan, cover the black-eyed peas with water and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until tender, 45 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, season with salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Roast the bell pepper directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning, until charred. Let cool. Peel and seed the bell pepper; cut into 1/4-inch dice.
- In a saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the diced celery for 30 seconds. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again.
- Add the mayonnaise and vinegar to the onion. Fold in the black-eyed peas, bell pepper, celery and scallions; season with salt, pepper and Tabasco. Chill before serving.
One serving 256 cal, 33 gm carb, 10 gm fat, 1.4 gm sat fat, 11 gm protein, 7 gm fiber.
Citrusy Pinot Gris.