Black-Eyed Pea Chili
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 3 CUPS
This terrific vegetarian chili is made with canned beans and is also great with the addition of beef, steak, pork, chicken, meaty fish or shrimp.
Slideshow: More Amazing Chili Recipes
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/4 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- One 15-ounce can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed, or 1 2/3 cups thawed frozen
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the peanut oil in a large nonreactive skillet. Add the green bell pepper and chili powder and cook over high heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the black-eyed peas and 1/4 cup of water, lower the heat to moderate and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and scallions and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.