Black-Eyed Pea and Arugula Salad
- SERVINGS: 10
- 4 ears of corn, shucked
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Vegetable oil, for the grill
- 4 cups fresh or frozen black-eyed peas
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 1/2 pound young arugula
- Light a grill. Brush the ears of corn with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Lightly brush the grill with the vegetable oil and grill the corn over a medium-hot fire, turning frequently, until lightly charred and almost tender, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly. Over a bowl, cut the kernels from the cobs.
- In a saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the black-eyed peas until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, whisk the 1/3 cup of olive oil with the lime juice and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Add the grilled corn, black-eyed peas, red bell peppers, onion, cilantro and jalapeños and toss well. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or for up to 4 hours. Toss the black-eyed pea salad with the arugula and transfer to a platter just before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.