- 1 pound dried black beans (I prefer the thin beans from Oaxaca)
- 10 cups water
- 2 medium yellow onions, halved
- 5 garlic cloves, halved
- 3 carrots, halved
- 3 oregano sprigs
- 3 cilantro sprigs
- Kosher salt
- Corn tortillas, sour cream and lime wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Rinse the beans in a colander. In a large pot, bring 10 cups of water to a simmer over moderate heat. Add the rinsed beans, onions, garlic, carrots, oregano, cilantro and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Reduce the heat to low and simmer partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, about 2 hours.
- Discard the onion halves, carrots and herb stems. Season the beans with salt and pepper, and serve with tortillas, sour cream and lime wedges.
The beans can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.