- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (white meat only)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon New Mexico chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- One 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 corn tortillas
- In a saucepan, heat the oil. Add the turkey, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, breaking up the meat, until white throughout, 4 minutes. Add the garlic, onion, chile powders and the cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce and 1 cup of water; bring to a simmer. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 45 minutes. Add the beans and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, light a grill or heat a grill pan. Grill the tortillas over moderate heat until soft, 30 seconds per side; wrap in a towel.
- Season the chili with salt and pepper and serve with the grilled tortillas.
The chili can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Reheat gently.
One Serving 460 cal, 46 gm carb, 16 gm fat, 3.1 gm sat fat, 36 gm protein, 12 gm fiber.
Low-fat sour cream.
Juicy, not-too-tannic Montepulciano is a good fit for tomatoey dishes.