Black-Bean Turkey Chili
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
"In this industry, you often don't eat when you need to," says Ronnie Killen. "What helped me lose weight was eating at the right times." He started having real meals with lean proteins, like this turkey chili.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (white meat only)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon New Mexico chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- One 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 corn tortillas
- In a saucepan, heat the oil. Add the turkey, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, breaking up the meat, until white throughout, 4 minutes. Add the garlic, onion, chile powders and the cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce and 1 cup of water; bring to a simmer. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 45 minutes. Add the beans and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, light a grill or heat a grill pan. Grill the tortillas over moderate heat until soft, 30 seconds per side; wrap in a towel.
- Season the chili with salt and pepper and serve with the grilled tortillas.
Juicy, not-too-tannic Montepulciano is a good fit for tomatoey dishes.