Black-Bean Tacos with Lime and Sour Cream
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
These easy black-bean tacos have a smoky edge, thanks to the hot smoked paprika that gets added to the onion as it's sautéed.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 12 corn tortillas
- Cilantro sprigs, shredded lettuce, sour cream and lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over moderate heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the oregano, cumin and paprika and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the water and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the beans, cover and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Using a potato masher, partially mash the beans. Season the beans with salt and pepper.
- Set the tortillas on a large piece of foil and heat in the oven for 2 minutes, until just until hot and pliable. Wrap the tortillas in the foil to keep them warm. Serve the tortillas with the beans, cilantro, lettuce, sour cream and lime wedges.
The earthy flavors are especially delicious with a creamy white from California or France's Rhône Valley.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.