- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock, canned low-sodium broth or water
- Two 15 1/2-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pound smoked chicken, turkey or pork sausage, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons medium-dry sherry
- 4 small scallions, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, cumin, cayenne and cinnamon, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring a few times, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir until shiny, about 1 minute. Add the stock, black beans and sausage and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, simmer the corn in the cream over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add the sherry and scallions and simmer for 3 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the stew into bowls, spoon the corn on top and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.