Black Bean Soup with Crispy Tortillas
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Three 6-inch corn tortillas, cut into narrow wedges
- Kosher salt
- 1 onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1/2 inch of vegetable oil over moderately high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°. Add the tortillas and fry, stirring occasionally, until crisp and lightly golden, about 1 1/2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tortillas to paper towels to drain; season with salt.
- In a medium soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil used to fry the tortillas. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the cumin and cook for 1 minute. Add the beans and their liquid and 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a few tortillas. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of cilantro and serve.
Luscious, earthy Argentine Malbec.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.