Black Bean Huevos Rancheros
- ACTIVE: 35 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 SERVINGS
Chef Jason Knibb likes to eat huevos rancheros before going out for a morning run down the slopes; the chiles wake him up. If he's in a hurry, he'll fold the eggs and beans into the tortillas to make breakfast burritos.
- 4 large Anaheim chiles
- 2 ounces pepper Jack cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
- 8 corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup drained canned black beans
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped chipotle chiles in adobo or chipotle chile sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 small avocado, cut into 4 wedges
- 1/4 cup diced plum tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons finely diced red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced jalapeño
- Preheat the broiler. Roast the chiles under the broiler for 6 to 7 minutes, turning frequently, until charred all over. Transfer them to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let steam for 5 minutes. When the chiles are cool enough to handle, peel and coarsely chop them. In a bowl, mix the chiles with the cheese.
- Turn the oven to 375°. Very lightly brush the tortillas with oil. Spread the roasted chiles and cheese on half of the tortillas and top with the remaining tortillas. Transfer the filled tortillas to a baking sheet, cover with foil and top with another baking sheet.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a small skillet. Add the garlic and cook over moderately high heat for 1 minute. Add the beans, stock and chopped chipotles and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and keep warm.
- Bake the tortillas for about 5 minutes, or until heated through and the cheese is melted. Meanwhile, in a lightly oiled large skillet, cook the eggs sunny-side up or over easy.
- Transfer the filled tortillas to plates. Top with the beans and then the eggs. Garnish with the avocado wedges, chopped tomatoes, diced onion and minced jalapeño and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.