- 4 large Anaheim chiles
- 2 ounces pepper Jack cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
- 8 corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup drained canned black beans
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped chipotle chiles in adobo or chipotle chile sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 small avocado, cut into 4 wedges
- 1/4 cup diced plum tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons finely diced red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced jalapeño
How to make this recipe
Preheat the broiler. Roast the chiles under the broiler for 6 to 7 minutes, turning frequently, until charred all over. Transfer them to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let steam for 5 minutes. When the chiles are cool enough to handle, peel and coarsely chop them. In a bowl, mix the chiles with the cheese.
Turn the oven to 375°. Very lightly brush the tortillas with oil. Spread the roasted chiles and cheese on half of the tortillas and top with the remaining tortillas. Transfer the filled tortillas to a baking sheet, cover with foil and top with another baking sheet.
Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a small skillet. Add the garlic and cook over moderately high heat for 1 minute. Add the beans, stock and chopped chipotles and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and keep warm.
Bake the tortillas for about 5 minutes, or until heated through and the cheese is melted. Meanwhile, in a lightly oiled large skillet, cook the eggs sunny-side up or over easy.
Transfer the filled tortillas to plates. Top with the beans and then the eggs. Garnish with the avocado wedges, chopped tomatoes, diced onion and minced jalapeño and serve.
One Serving 387 calories, 17.9 gm total fat, 5.0 gm saturated fat, 41 gm carb.