- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems and leaves separated
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans
- 1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk
How to make this recipe
In a medium heavy pot, heat the oil over medium high heat, then stir in the onions and garlic along with 3/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and cook until golden, about 6 minutes. Stir in the cilantro stems, stock, beans with their liquid and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Simmer the soup until the cilantro stems are tender, about 5 minutes.
Puree the soup in batches, then season with salt and pepper to taste and serve topped with the cilantro leaves.