- 2/3 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans or one 19-ounce can, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat, picked over
- 6 scallions, white and tender green, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- Hot sauce
- In a saucepan, combine the rice with 1 1/3 cups of water and the salt. Cover and bring to a boil, then cook over low heat until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 17 minutes. Let cool.
- In a bowl, combine the rice with all of the remaining ingredients except the hot sauce and stir gently, making sure not to mash the crabmeat or beans. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour so the flavors can blend. Serve at room temperature. Pass the hot sauce separately.
The salad can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Tomato slices or in hollowed-out tomatoes.
Pour a fruity California sparkling white, such as the nonvintage Domaine Chandon Reserve Cuvé 490 or the Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs, to contrast with the up-front zingy flavors here.