- 12 ounces dried black beans, picked over and rinsed
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 chipotle in adobo, minced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, cover the beans with cold water and bring to a boil. Cover and let stand off the heat for 1 hour.
- Drain the beans. Return them to the pot and cover with 3 inches of water. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat until tender, about 1 hour and 30 minutes; season generously with salt during the last 10 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the quinoa with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover the saucepan and simmer the quinoa over low heat until the water has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Spread the quinoa on a plate and let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice and chipotle. Add the olive oil in a thin stream, whisking until blended. Add the black beans, quinoa, scallions, red onion, yellow pepper and cilantro. Season with salt, toss to combine and serve.
The black beanandquinoa salad can be refrigerated overnight.