- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 pound smoked ham, sliced 1/2 inch thick and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans, drained
- One 15-ounce can hominy, drained
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the bell pepper, onion and garlic and cook over moderately high heat until the vegetables are just beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the ham, cumin, coriander and chipotle and cook until the ham is lightly browned, about 3 minutes longer. Add the black beans, hominy and stock and bring to a boil. Simmer the stew over moderate heat until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
Add the cilantro and season the stew with salt and pepper. Spoon the stew into deep bowls, sprinkle with the Cheddar and serve.
Warm corn tortillas and a bowl of sour cream.