Black Bean and Hominy Stew
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 TO 6
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 pound smoked ham, sliced 1/2 inch thick and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans, drained
- One 15-ounce can hominy, drained
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the bell pepper, onion and garlic and cook over moderately high heat until the vegetables are just beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the ham, cumin, coriander and chipotle and cook until the ham is lightly browned, about 3 minutes longer. Add the black beans, hominy and stock and bring to a boil. Simmer the stew over moderate heat until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cilantro and season the stew with salt and pepper. Spoon the stew into deep bowls, sprinkle with the Cheddar and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.