- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces mini chocolate chips
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line three 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners.
- Make the Filling In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese with the egg, sugar, and salt until blended. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Make the Cupcakes In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the sugar, salt and baking soda. Sift in the cocoa powder and whisk to combine. Add the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla and whisk just until the batter is smooth.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of batter into each muffin cup. Scoop 1 tablespoon of the filling on top of the batter, followed by another 1 tablespoon of the batter. Bake the cupcakes for about 30 minutes, until firm and no longer sticky to the touch; turn the pans halfway through baking. Let the cupcakes cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto a rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving.
The cupcakes can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Contributed By Andrew Zimmern Photo © Stephanie Meyer Published