© Con Poulos
Bitter-Greens Salad with Melted Cheese
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
To make this delicious and simple salad special, it’s quickly popped in the oven to wilt the greens and melt the cheese.
Slideshow: Warm Winter Salads
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 large head of radicchio (3/4 pound), cored and coarsely shredded
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- 4 ounces semi-hard Italian cheese, such as Crucolo or pecorino Toscano, thinly shaved
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted
- Saba (See Note) or balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk the red wine vinegar with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the radicchio and arugula and toss well. Mound the salad on oven-proof plates and top with the shaved cheese. Arrange the plates on trays and warm the salads in the oven for about 1 minute, until the cheese is just melted. Sprinkle the toasted hazelnuts on top. Drizzle a little saba over the salads and serve right away.
NotesSaba, the Italian condiment made from reduced grape must, is available at specialty food stores and from igourmet.com.