- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds tomatoespeeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
How to make this recipe
In a colander, sprinkle the eggplant with salt and toss. Let stand for 1 hour. Transfer the eggplant to paper towels and pat dry.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Scrape the onion into a large enameled cast-iron casserole. Repeat the process with the bell peppers, zucchini and the garlic with the eggplant, using 2 tablespoons of oil to cook each batch.
Stir the tomatoes, coriander and thyme into the vegetables in the casserole and season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer over low heat until the tomatoes are broken down and the vegetables are very tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in the basil and serve.
The ratatouille can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.