Big Italian Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6 servings
Part green salad, part antipasto salad, this recipe combines lettuce, celery, onion, peperoncini, olives and cherry tomatoes—all tossed in a dressing made with olive oil, vinegar and a little mayonnaise. "The salad reminds me of one my mother made," says Fran Parisi. "Her dressing had no mayo, of course—it was strictly oil and vinegar."
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 large romaine heart, chopped
- 1 small head of radicchio—halved, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 head of iceberg lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1 tender celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives, preferably Sicilian
- 8 peperoncini
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved (1 cup)
- In a large bowl, mash the garlic to a paste with a generous pinch of salt. Whisk in the mayonnaise, vinegar and oregano, then whisk in the olive oil. Season with pepper. Add all of the remaining ingredients and toss well. Serve right away.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.