- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 3 cups
This delicious, all-purpose marinara sauce is useful in a variety of recipes. F&W editors love this marinara sauce on pizza, with pasta and as a dipping sauce.
Slideshow: Top Tomato Dishes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 peeled and halved garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- One 35-ounce can whole peeled Italian tomatoes
- Freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 basil sprigs
- In a large saucepan, heat the extra-virgin olive oil. Add the garlic cloves and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and crush them with the back of a spoon; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the sugar and basil sprigs and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened and reduced to 3 cups, about 30 minutes. Discard the basil sprigs and garlic.