- 1 1/2 cups beluga lentils (3/4 pound)
- 4 garlic cloves—2 smashed and 2 minced
- 1 carrot, halved crosswise
- 1 small yellow onion, halved
- 4 cups water
- 2 large poblano peppers
- 1/2 chorizo sausage, casing removed and meat finely diced (1 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into slivers
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus cilantro leaves for garnish
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
In a medium saucepan, combine the lentils with the smashed garlic, carrot, yellow onion and water and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until the lentils are just tender, about 30 minutes. Drain the lentils and discard the garlic, carrot and onion. Let the lentils cool slightly.
Meanwhile, roast the poblanos over a gas flame or under a broiler, turning them several times, until charred all over. Transfer them to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let steam for 15 minutes. Peel, core and seed the poblanos, then cut them into slivers.
In a small skillet, cook the chorizo over high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain the chorizo on paper towels.
In a large bowl, combine the lentils with the poblanos, chorizo, red onion, eggs, chopped cilantro and minced garlic. Add the lime juice and oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Sprinkle the cilantro leaves over the top and serve.
The salad components can be prepared through Step 3 and refrigerated separately overnight. Return the lentils to room temperature and rewarm the chorizo before tossing with the remaining ingredients.