- 6 small beets (about 1 1/2 pounds), scrubbed
- 2 pounds fresh fava beans, shelled
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 pound sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Loosely wrap the beets in foil and roast for about 1 hour, or until tender when pierced. Let cool, then peel the beets and cut them into wedges.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the fava beans and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain the beans and cool them under running water. Peel off and discard the tough outer skins. Return the water to a boil. Gently add the eggs and boil for 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to a bowl of cold water and let cool completely. Peel the eggs.
- In a medium skillet, cook the bacon strips over moderately high heat until brown and crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off the fat from the pan.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in the skillet. Add the sliced onion and garlic and cook over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until the onion is golden, about 25 minutes. Stir in the anchovies and vinegar. Scrape the contents of the skillet into a blender or mini processor and pulse until smooth. With the machine on, add the remaining 6 tablespoons of olive oil in a thin, steady stream. Season the anchovy dressing with salt and pepper.
- Cut the eggs in half and arrange them on a large plate along with the beets, fava beans and bacon. Drizzle half of the dressing over the salad, sprinkle with the parsley and serve. Pass the remaining dressing separately.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.